Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Day 74 It's Almost Concrete

Now that springtime has officially arrived, even if the temperature isn't totally in agreement, certain springtime activities are occurring in the neighborhood. Perhaps you have noticed some as well.

Around here they have started to replace the concrete sidewalks. Not all of them are in equally poor condition.
The main sections they seem to be hitting are the corners where they are either repairing or replacing the section and making it easier for wheelchair bound folks to navigate across the street.  Jack hammers rattle windows during the day while crews take out broken concrete from the already cracked sidewalks.

They are putting in sloped sections that make a smooth run from sidewalk level to street level.  Some of these slopes are also grooved for, ostensibly, water flow to keep the ice from building up too much and making  the slope too slick.

To prevent people from walking where the work is occurring signs have been placed,  "Sidewalk closed."



Keeping people out while the broken is being replaced, keeping people from slipping and sliding in mud, and then keeping people out of the concrete while waiting for it to dry is the purpose of these signs.  They serve as a reminder when we would absentmindedly walk where it is wise to either go around or avoid altogether.


I remember as kids, we always hoped we could get to one of those fresh pourings and etch our initials into the hardening mix.  We never quite made it, but that didn't stop us from trying!


A long, long time ago I learned that if you wanted something to get done you gave it to a busy person.  I didn't know why this was true and no one really explained it, but as I worked in education I saw over and again this piece of advice was generally true.

Years later I began to get an inkling why this was so.  Busy people use their calendars and have a really good idea of how much time they actually have to work on something.

In other words, the so-called busy people had their time organized.

The easiest way to organize time is using a calendar system. Some people are good at using Google Calendar, the calendar program on their phones, or any variety of paper calendars.  They have time blocked off. Time they work, time they play, time they are obligated to. Their calendars help them remember what needs to happen when.

Marie Foleo says, "If it's not scheduled it's not real."

I do know that idea has worked for me in regards to working out. I have it scheduled on a calendar
and once it is on the calendar, because it is important to me, I seldom cancel.  A few things in the past have gotten in the way, but they are few and necessary (like staying later at work).

I am also applying this to my business idea.  Using the calendar to block out specific time to work on my project for my own business will give it the priority it needs and help keep me from procrastinating.  It's on my calendar - I need to get 'er done.

The calendar can be used to help me set specific actions I need to take to reach a launch date. By getting things onto the calendar on a regular basis, I give the system room to work. If for instance, I set aside two hours every Monday and Wednesday, and three on Saturday and I block that time out on a calendar, I know that I will honor that time and use it to work my business.

My chances at meaningful success increase if I block out those times with specific activities such as making phone calls, or developing advertising.  Doing this keeps me from just staring into space and wasting the time I've set aside.

When using my calendar (I still use paper, sorry) I can "pencil" something in which may not be as important to me as something I put into the calendar with ink. Ink is my concrete.  Pencil is the concrete still trying to set up and dry.

Eventually, the concrete in the neighborhood will cure and people will be able to use those corners again. By working a calendar system with specific actions listed on predetermined dates, I begin to lay the foundation for my business idea and allow it to cure.

When I break things down into manageable chunks by placing them into a schedule on my calendar, I take overwhelming out of the equation and take the steps necessary to advance in my dangerous living.