Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Day 160 Trinkets and Treasures (Pt 1)

Again, it's been a while since I posted, and I doubt this one will be of my usual length, so I apologize in advance.

This month has been challenge filled to say the very least.  I've spent five days in the hospital and a couple of days in the emergency room.  Yep, days.

If I look back, the trouble really erupted, much like the two hot volcanoes spewing right now, about six months ago.  C and I had just come home and I took my little Chihuahua out for his evening stroll. A path we routinely take minimally twice a day.  The route is paved and fairly even; there is nothing remarkable or strenuous about it.


Except this time when I got home I couldn't breathe and my heart was pounding and the center of my chest hurt like a cinder block was crushing my sternum.

I trudged up the stairs and took my blood pressure.  All I remember now is that it broke 200.  We went to urgent care and then the emergency department.

Rinse and repeat a month later.

The chest pressure accompanied me most every where I went. Nitro occupied a permanent place in my pocket. Labeled "stable angina", I popped Nitro a couple of times a week. The cardiologist said that was too often and upped my dosage of a heart medicine called co-reg.  

Co-reg made me dizzy; a fall down drunk sort of dizzy.  I've had a lot of scrapes and bruises from said dizziness. I carry a cane to help me keep my balance.


Six weeks ago my primary care doctor and I were talking and I mentioned the dizziness. She took me off the co-reg and put me back on a drug I'd previously used.  The dizziness dissipated within twenty-four hours, but the angina grew worse.  

The next time I saw my pcp I mentioned I was having the angina occasionally at night, painful enough to wake me from sleep. She had me call my sister and I went to the emergency room.  I spent approximately twenty-seven hours there before I was admitted. 

Several days were spent attempted to regulate my blood pressure which ranged from 120 - 190 / 75-99 or so. Lots of tests, lots of different drugs, lots of experimentation.

Finally, I was released but had a near immediate set back.  While shopping for my new prescriptions, I had an event  which terrified me and did nothing good for C. Since I was still adjusting to my new meds and had been off my feet for nearly a week, I was in a wheelchair. While looking at a bottle of Tylenol, I found I could not form the word Tylenol, nor adequately explain what I wanted with the Tylenol.  The thoughts were coherent in my head but I could not make them come out of my  mouth in any sort of cohesive order that made sense.  I was speaking gibberish and I knew it.

We returned to the ER. In the few minutes it took to "sign in" and get seated in the waiting area, I threw up the little I'd eaten.  More tests, all sorts of physical gymnastics; touch your nose, hold your hands out, smile, lift your eyebrows, puff your cheeks and a host of others.  No, I hadn't had a stroke.

However, I did have something akin. The medical term, TIA. Transient ischemic attack.  A blockage in the brain that breaks up on its own before any damage is done or becomes permanent. Frightening.

Another overnight, in the ER.  

Finally, I was allowed to go home. I even made it there this time.  The next day, I woke and was feeling pretty good considering all I'd been through.

That was until about 2:00 p.m. when I took my blood pressure and it was a whopping 80/53.   Dealing with low blood pressure was something new, and in and of itself was quite an adventure. End result, I was back in the ER, this time at a different hospital.  I was kept there for about seven hours.

So far, I've made it six days without a visit to the emergency room.

Today my eighty-three year old mom, and my sister came to help me clean my house which hasn't been properly done since that first ER visit six months ago.

Today, while I didn't have a lot in the way of energy, was the first day, I felt like I might be on the mend. There were a couple of high blood pressure moments, and there were some wonky blood sugar readings, but right now I feel that I am tracking a positive direction.

With such serious health events occurring, my general life focus has changed.

And, God willing, that will be Part 2 of this missive.