Saturday, March 25, 2017

Day 70 Bit by Bit

Over 2,000,000. Two million.  Over two million strokes to cross the Atlantic Ocean on a stand-up paddle board.  Over 4,000 miles.

Chris Bertish, is the first person to complete such a feat.  It was a huge goal.  He left Morocco December 6th, 2016 and ended up in Antigua on March 9th, 2017.

Over two million strokes across 4,000 plus miles in 93 days. Alone. On a paddle board.


There aren't a lot of people who would attempt such a feat. The ocean is so vast and empty and dark.  You see, he accomplished most of this at night to avoid sun exposure.

Rick Lewis on 103.5 The Fox, interviewed Bertish, asking all sorts of questions about how he survived and why he challenged himself this way and how he was physically able to even attempt an ocean crossing.

Bertish, who is in his 40's, had a fairly simple response for how he was fit to make the crossing.  He built up to it.

A long time swimmer, surfer and paddle boarder, he spent countless hours in the ocean.  The sea was a second home to him.  He frequently paddle boarded and built up, after years of honing his skills, crossing smaller yet significant distances until he felt mentally and physically prepared to attempt the crossing. 

What a lesson for all of us.  You don't tackle anything big without working up to it. When I ran a marathon years ago, I didn't start out by running twenty-six miles the very first day I trained.  I walked, a mile.  Then two.  Then a little running and some walking.  Then a distance of seven miles.  Then dropping back to five with increasing stretches of distance paired with short runs. Then a really long intermediate walk/run around Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs.

I built up to it.  Just like Chris Bertish built up to paddling long distances.

Applying this concept can make so many things so much easier.  I didn't write my first novel by sitting down at my computer and writing 60,000 plus words in a month.  But I did sit down five out of seven days minimally to get it done.  I established a habit and there were times when I stretched myself to get a little extra done. The biggest push came during NaNoWriMo.  I wrote 50,000 plus words in the span of a month - November - a month in which I couldn't write every single day due to prepping for Halloween.

We can apply this to so much.  I think about exercise right now.  I've some acquaintances who started out exercising a few months back just by lifting their arms over their heads. That was what they had to start with. I've been "handicapped" for nearly five months. I am not supposed to put extra stress on my left foot by running and jumping.  I had to adapt. My trainer adapted. I kept at it. 

I could have quit. I had every excuse.  In my mind, all I could think of was how far I'd regress if I stopped.  I've still a way to go, but it would be oh-so-much-further if I hadn't used a little of my Irish stubbornness.  The end result? I kept muscle mass.

My life has a lot of similar examples. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I have to learn the hard way. I've kept muscle mass, but my left foot and ankle are incredibly weak.  I have to build that up, a bit at a time.  I have to relearn how to walk again, properly. I do ankle exercises. I wear supportive shoes.  It all works together, takes getting used to and it is a slow process - a little at a time.

It's about little steps building into big accomplishments.  It's taken me a while to learn that.  I remember making a beautiful Martha

Washington style bi-centennial dress.  I think I had to have chosen one of the hardest things to make for a first ever sewing project.  I got it done, but I chose all the wrong materials, and didn't have some of the basics down.  I made things much harder than they needed to be.

Giving up flour?  I can't beat myself up if I slip now and again. I haven't yet, but realistically, going cold turkey, there is a chance. It's a big change to effect.  What we can all do is remember to take things a step, a day at a time and build up to getting it done.


Just like Chris Bertish.


Congratulations Chris, you've set an awesome example of how working every day you can work toward achieving a goal and a dream.