Friday, May 12, 2017

Day 110 Stepping Out

Yesterday, I went to a government agency to sign up for their job search portal. It is required by unemployment insurance in my state to do so.


They didn't have any jobs I was qualified for. I'm searching for a job that will be something I will enjoy and hopefully pay decently. I really don't want to go back into sales or health insurance if I don't have to do so.

So, I went to a job search engine called Indeed.  You can put in your city, and a key word to match what you think you're looking for.  I used "writer" as my key word.


One of the interesting things that happened was that Indeed "read" my resume, reformatted it, and messed it up. It thinks one of the places I worked was "Site Closure" which is pretty funny.  They took the places I worked at and then asked me to review the companies.  There were star rankings and mandatory essay question boxes.  They asked me about "Site Closure" and the company that shall not be named, and they asked me twice about a publishing company I once owned.

There are a couple flaws in their system for reviewing companies.

I was surprised by the number of jobs for writers in a metropolitan area.  Several interesting ones would be more than an hour drive away which I'm not going to do. I need something closer to home and that I can get to reasonably with public transportation if I have any issues with my car or driving or fitting in with C's second shift schedule.

Among the jobs were a couple for journalists, a job for a copy editor, another for a real estate company and another as a technical writer for a food company.

Due to automation, I think, I heard back from three of them already. They mostly said they had received my application and resume and that they would have their talent acquisition team look over the paperwork I uploaded

Those were some quick responses.  I didn't expect to hear anything back so soon, but that's the beauty of setting up auto-responders.

There are also some education jobs out there, but I need to get my state license and that means paying for tests and any prep work that might entail.  Whatever I end up doing, I'll have to be able to ride a desk.  My feet aren't in good enough shape these days to have a job where I stand all the time.

C is working in a manufacturing plant and that's what he is currently doing. Standing, sometimes for eleven or twelve hours. He's due to get a decent check next week and has vowed to get a better pair of shoes with insoles.  Smart kid. 

Since I've switched computers, I've had to rebuild my resume. I thought I would use one of the "free" templates online. It lets you make a resume alright, but then it charges you if you want to download it. I called their customer service department and was told that yes, if I did want to download the resume I would have to fork over some money.

Not on your life. I thanked the representative after I made sure I understood the directions completely, then informed her that I was calling the Better Business Bureau, which I did.

Back in the day, we called a tactic like this "bait and switch" which is an illegal practice in sales. The idea is that you offer something really attractive at a low price, but there are only a few, if any, of the item and by the time the shopper gets to the store, the item is out of stock. But wait - there's this other item that does the same thing only better and you can have it for .... They lured you in with one thing and try to sell you something else.

My son tells me this sort of thing is common on the internet.  That may be, but it is still wrong.  Hence my complaint.

There is a lot of garbage out there on the internet, and a lot of that garbage has phone numbers where you can contact the company.  

Complaining is somewhat of an art. You cannot lose your temper. The person on the other end of the phone is not the one who set up the parameters of the company.  Treat them politely, get their name, tell them you are unhappy and why and see what they are willing to do for you.  If nothing, politely end the conversation and then move your conversation up the food chain.

Eventually, someone will give you the answer you want, or you won't get what you need and you take appropriate next steps. In my case it was contacting the Better Business Bureau.

A lot of people feel like complaining doesn't work. I tend to think of it this way: I may be the straw that tips the scale for something to be done. Maybe the practice will change. Maybe copy will be clearer as to what to expect. Maybe they'll get busted.  But, if no one complains then there is no chance that anything will happen at all. None. Zero.

Just remember, it isn't the fault of the person on the other end of the phone.  They don't run the company, they just take the calls. They get paid crap and don't deserve to get yelled at by you.  Actually, no one in a service industry deserves to get yelled at. 

We are supposed to be educated and civilized and just because something happens that we don't like doesn't mean it is okay to take it out on someone else. You really don't know who that person is, don't know who they may be networked with, don't know what kind of day they are having.  

I knew someone who once yelled at a building manager for not fixing a window.  This person had asked maintenance to take care of it. As it turned out, maintenance got their directives from the building manager.  And the building manager didn't forget who yelled at her and when it came time for lease renewal didn't offer a new lease to the person who'd yelled at her.

When I came to work at my last job, I ended up meeting people who were connected to me through the education system. One had been taught by a principal I worked with. Another was a teacher at the same school I formerly taught at. A third had a son attending the same school my son did.

The world is small, and getting smaller every day.  Yelling at a salesperson or customer service representative doesn't get you much.  Take heed and be kind. Be firm, and clear yet polite. 

There are a number of people who read this blog that were in the customer relations industry.  I know you know what I mean.

Remember most of us are underpaid for the work we do, and so is that person answering the phone.  Keep calm and keep on complaining until your complaint is heard.