Friday, September 7, 2018

Day 167 Stretching

Stretching is an important part of properly exercising.  Every time I work out, stretching precedes weightlifting, aerobics, and any sort of conditioning.


Physical stretching isn't the only kind of stretching I do.  I stretch my mind by reading. I stretch my spirit through worship, meditation, and instruction. I've stretched my capacity for love, for forgiveness and for empathy.  Interestingly, I've never stretched to a breaking point; the more I stretch those qualities, the more I'm able to stretch them.


Sometimes I've had to stretch into uncomfortable places.  In other words, I've needed to face a concern, worry or fear.  One of the things I've discovered is that more times than not, I made that place a lot more frightening than it needed to be.

When I talk with people, I find that I am not alone in making my worries and concerns bigger than they really are.  There is an acronym for fear - False Evidence Appearing Real.

One place I've been surprised to find fear is when it comes to assisting others. Many are concerned that their efforts are too small, too late, and not going to make a difference. What we forget is the power of a single raindrop in combination with other raindrops.   A collection of raindrops has the potential to fill a cistern, water a garden, provide hydration to life.  

On Sunday, my pastor asked for prayers for a trip he was taking to an orphanage in Haiti.  I asked him simply, "What do you need?"

He simply responded, "Backpacks, about a dozen."

At this point in my life I can't afford a dozen backpacks, but I could afford two.  If five other people got the same message, he would have his dozen backpacks.

It wouldn't be too little.  The combined effort reaches the goal.

I purchased the two backpacks (right) and a few other odds and ends (pencils, crayons, paper. etc.) I brought them back to the office immediately. Pastor wasn't leaving for three more days, so I'm hopeful he got more backpacks,  but what I do know is that my small effort, will make school a little better for a boy and girl in a community that has been hard it by natural disasters. Two kids in that island nation will know that someone cared enough to make an effort on their behalf.  Two children will have some basic school supplies provided by a person they will more than likely never meet.

For myself, I stretched some.  Mainly my budget (I've always been a giver in a myriad of other ways) was pushed.  I knew how much extra money I had after bills to spend.  I could have spent it on me, clothes, dining out, any number of things.  I chose to forego those and spend the little extra I had on someone I didn't know.