Saturday, February 18, 2017

Day 39 To Everything There Is a Season

My trainer likes to remind me every once in a while of a workout shirt I bought about a year ago. In gold letters it states, "Not wishing for it, working for it."


Not that wishing or praying or hoping for something is in and of itself a bad thing. It's just that wishing, praying or hoping is not a complete thing. That is why we visualize, think, direct our thoughts on our goals. But there is more....

Despite this week's shock to the system, and the anger I felt for myself and my co-workers, I realize that this too, is a chance to find a new open door.  This may be God's way of answering one of my prayers, but I have to be wise enough and open enough to see just what that answer is. All those goals and visualizations and positive thoughts are worthless if we don't take action.


Change is difficult. I believe we all know that. Yet, some of us are more capable of accepting change than others.  Some of us have lived military lives - change is a constant when you are associated with the Armed Forces. As a child I lived in New Mexico, Colorado, Maine, Texas and even spent time in Turkey. School was in another state and I started my teaching career in yet another. Upending your life on a regular basis helps you accept change. 

The loss of my job is a minor change compared to an interstate move and all that entails.

Others, though, have been living pretty much in the same place their entire lives; the only time they've crossed state borders has when they've gone on vacation. Change may be more difficult, embraced or not.

This turn of events is just another season in my life. My life has been blessed and I know it. This is my season for sorrow and mourning.  The writer of  Ecclesiastes had it right, and The Byrds turned it into a lovely piece of music.


Turn! Turn! Turn!

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven
A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep
To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven
A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together
To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven
A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing
To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven
A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
Songwriters: Pete Seeger
Turn! Turn! Turn! lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, T.R.O. Inc.

Writing these posts the past few days has enabled me to let my emotions out and positive thoughts in. I've ideas for the future, and the days past that.

Dear friends, that is in and of itself a very good thing, and reason for this to have happened in my life (and hopefully the lives of my associates). 

Eventually, the future will be so bright I'll have to wear shades!