Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Day 48 I Wish I May, I Wish I Might

...a long time ago, in a century further and further away, a couple of little kids chanted "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and amended some of the words.  Our little group used to say, "I wish I may, I wish I might see a satellite tonight."

I didn't see a satellite tonight. Tonight I saw an extended preview for a movie, "Ghost in the Shell" a movie based on a Japanese manga.  Now, out of fair disclosure, I don't read manga and I don't overall enjoy anime.  Nothing against the genres, or the people who do enjoy them, manga and anime just aren't for me. Generally, I don't read comics or watch cartoons either. I prefer my entertainment in the form of books, movies and television - the live action sort for the last two.

However, I have listened to people who do enjoy manga and anime and the stories they tell me regarding those forms intrigue me. My
oldest son brought Cowboy Be-bop into our home. I learned about some characters like Vash the Stampede from Trigun. I found out that the main character in the movie, "Priest" and that storyline were based on comic characters.

In short, comics have grown up and become quick vehicles for storytelling. Good ones are collectible and there are a number of people who make their living selling comic books and posters and other associated memorabilia.


So when I tell you that the premise for "Ghost in the Shell" is equally intriguing because of its underlying theme, be intrigued.  The heroine, Major, has had her brain placed into what amounts to be a robot, or artificial intelligence. Because she is cybernetically enhanced she can do a few things that mere mortals can't or shouldn't. Eventually, Major is led to believe that perhaps she wasn't rescued but rather selected to be this new sort of creation. In the movie she will be searching for her truth, whatever that may be.

While we could put Major's story into the realm of science fiction which it is, boxing it up nice and neat that way doesn't fully allow the flavors of the themes to blend into and impact our lives. In the end, Major's search for her reality, her truth, her reason for existence mirrors ours.

I for one am looking forward to the full length release of "Ghost in the Shell" and hope it can deliver on the promises the previews have dangled in front of our eyes.

I will also see it on the big Imax screen in 3D to get the full effect of all the stunts Major performs.  Then if the movie delivers on even a few of it's promises, I will look for the manga and/or anime and see how the stories compare.  I will look to see if the film did the originals justice.  And, I just might open my eyes a little wider and take another look at Vash the Stampede and other manga/anime characters my kids have talked to me about.

They just may convert me into this new form of story.