Thursday, April 13, 2017

Day 85 Nothing Pithy

You'd think that after walking out of building 3, I'd be filled with all things pithy. 

I'm not.

That place hurt a lot of people. There is no justification for the way any of it was handled.

But now, we are on the new adventure. 


I've got what I affectionately call "road butt."  Nearly six hundred miles today.  I need to work out, stretch, and probably work out a little more.

Last night I had Charlie horses in both legs and muscle cramps in the muscles that connect to the shin.  OUCH!

I am happy to say that there was next to no snacking, and definitely nothing that was bad for me. We packed a fruit plate that included melon, grapes, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and pineapple.

We ate at a local restaurant, The Machine Shed. They used red napery, a nice change from the paper napkins so many family restaurants use.  They served sides family style, with big bowls of our choices - baked apple slices and cottage cheese.  I ordered pork loin and got two pieces larger than my hand and a good inch thick.  There were plenty of leftovers.

We're staying at a Wyndham affiliated motel, a former Days Inn. This has got to be the tiniest motel room I've ever occupied. There is less than three feet between the end of the beds and the credenza holding the flat screen television.  No tub, just a narrow, short shower.  I had a "bathroom" like that when I lived in an efficiency apartment in Michigan.  There is only an outlet near the sink, so I'm writing this using battery power (and hoping it lasts).

The desk is near the sink and the chair when pulled back hits the wall that "separates" the bedroom area from the bathroom.  You have to get up from the chair and push it in if someone wants to use the toilet.

Still, even this tiny room has more amenities that a lot of places in the world. And we're "borrowing" it for a short time.  Long enough to write this post and have a decent night of sleep.

The car, at this time, is performing well.  Another blessing.

We did this trip three months ago, and it's nice that it isn't below zero like it was then. That's not to say that it isn't cooler out this way - it is.  It is also a touch more humid than what I'm accustomed to.  It's like the weather is two - three days behind home.

Traveling is good and fun. I have a great kid doing the lion's share of the driving.  This trip I'm listening to electronica.  Always something to experience.

It's a good way to start the new unemployment chapter of my life. 

Along the way we've stopped at a number of truck stops.  Truckers are an interesting bunch.  They'd probably laugh at what I'm calling dangerous living.  Those long haul guys and gals take their drives seriously.  Their work doesn't seem dangerous, at least that's what you think until you see a dozen or so trucks slid off the side of the road going through Nebraska.

Different people have different dangers in their lives; different priorities; different things to challenge their existence.  Mine might seem different but moving forward into any unknown qualifies as dangerous whether it is trying a new way to earn a living, or moving to a different state, or going to school to earn a diploma.

Viva la difference!