Saturday, April 15, 2017

Day 87 Day of Love

I'm currently sitting in a hotel room in not far from the campus of Northwestern University thinking back on the day.  I'm reminding myself, "I love myself, I love myself, I love myself."

The kids and I met early this morning and walked to a Greek restaurant, where we shared breakfast.  Leisurely which was very nice. My kids are wonderful and they put up with the fact that I eat slowly.

But not too slowly.  We'd decided to go to a feature length amime called "Your Name." For the past year it has been the number one movie in Japan. It was esy to see why, even having to read subtitles. The story was a Freaky Friday type story with a twist. Three of us were crying at the end.  For me, this was amazing as I am not one of those that really enjoy animated films.   This film was not only good, but creative. Something a bit different from the drivel Hollywood has been churning out.


We came back to the hotel room and took a nap and then got ready for the wedding. The wedding was awesome.  The bride and groom got to know one another over a discussion of Oxford commas.  Their love of literature furthered their relationship.

 The bride walked in to Hot Line Bling, The Gambler, and Ben Bridges song that we didn't know the name of off the top of our heads. It was all done by a pianist so initially it was hard to immediately recognize the popular pieces.

As a part of the wedding they had their bridal counterparts read passages to the gathering from some of their favorite novels. So unique! Their vows were self-written as well and expressed their love in a unique fashion.

To assign seats for the dinner, they had a table with origami swans. On one wing was the guest name and on the other the table number. At the tables were stacks of books. Each book, a hardback and fairly old had something to do with the guests sitting at the table. Rather than a guest book, they had the guests sign a globe.

The way the two expressed their love for one another and for their guests was simple and elegant.

There were a number of guests I was able to reconnect with, people I hadn't seen in years, some nearly thirty years ago.  

Days like this are sometimes hard on me. I love deeply and fiercely and the vows and reminders often time remind me that there are some people who make vows and don't mean them.

These are the days I am glad to be surrounded by family and friends, and I remind myself, "I love myself, I love myself, I love myself."